Tuesday 3 April 2012

Day 3 - Dickens in the Lakes

The continuing sage of finding somewhere with internet access in the Lake District...today, it was a breeze!  Yes, you read correctly - an absolute breeze!  We drove through to Cockermouth and decided to have lunch in the Trout Hotel - and wonderful place that it is, it had really fast wifi access - yay!  I am now typing this blogpost back at the cabin and thinking that it will be really easy to post this up tomorrow too.  The reason for my confidence is because we will be returning to the Trout Hotel tomorrow.  Yes, it was a very nice lunch, but that is not the reason we will be returning there.  The reason for our second visit in as many days is that my son left his phone there and we need to drive back and collect it - what lovely people, they found it and have kept it safe for us - phew!
My passage for the day is relevant in that it is a discussion about the two types of boys...
"He is a nice-looking boy is he not?" inquired Mr Brownlow.
"I dont know," replied Mr Grimwig, pettishly.
"Don't know?"
"No.  I don't know.  I never see any difference in boys.  I only knew two sort of boys.  Mealy boys, and beef-faced boys."
"And which is Oliver?"
"Mealy.  I know a friend who has a beef-faced boy; a fine boy, they call him; with a round head, and red cheeks, and glaring eyes; a horrid boy; with a body and limbs that appear to be swelling out of the seams of his blue clothes; with the voice of a pilot, and the appetite of a wolf.  I know him!  The wretch!"
"Come," said Mr Brownlow, "these are not characteristics of young Oliver Twist; so he needn't excite your wrath."
"They are not," replid Mr Grimwig.  "He may have worse."
Mr Grimwig sounds so much like someone I know.  Obviously, I can't mention names, but I am almost certain that they would never imagine themselves to come across like this!  Enough said, methinks!
While I remember, this is the link for a great app from the Museum of London.  It takes you on Dickens Walks!  How fabby is that?
http://www.museumoflondon.org.uk/Resources/app/Dickens_webpage/index.html
I hope you link through to the app - it really is great fun!
I hope you are all reading your copies of Oliver Twist by now!  I am off to go and finish mine now.  Its all a little unfortunate really; I really need to get on and finish (so that I can complete these blogposts!), but all this fresh air - and suffering from neuralgia - means that I keep falling asleep - fresh air and nerve painkillers are a wonderful combination! 

No comments: