Thursday 6 June 2013

New Children's Laureate

I am so excited that the new Laureate has been announced as Malorie Blackman.  She will be such an inspiration for teens who perhaps have slipped away from reading. 
 
I first read Noughts and Crosses years ago - I read it as part of my job, when I felt I needed to improve my knowledge of teen stock in the library.  I loved it!  It spoke to me like no other book I had read at that time.
  
 
Since then, I have read many more teen books, some as good, some not as good (shhhhh, some that I have enjoyed even more!) but this was one book I really wanted my son to read - he was 10 when he read it and thoroughly enjoyed it too - this was around the time when he was reading the Twilight Sagas so it had some competition (as far as he was concerned).  I feel it gave him an alternative view of fiction - and, perhaps more importantly, helped him to understand prejudice in a very safe way. 
 
I am so thrilled that Malorie's books are now required reading in some secondary schools - I think this speaks volumes for their quality but also their ability to engage young people.  And if you want a very different read from Malorie try her book Unheard Voices - oh boy!!!

 
 
I am going to stop enthusing now, suffice to say that I am chuffed that Malorie will be our new laureate and, Malorie, if you want to pop over to Havering Libraries we can offer you a very enthusiastic and admiring audience!

 

No comments: